Built on Blocks CMS
Built on Blocks (BoB) is Auth0’s in-house built CMS to accommodate the wide ranging integrations and users on the site. Started in Q2 2020, I took over with a fellow designer to take the tool from prototype to launch and rollout. By coordinating sprints including user tests, prioritization and feasibility assessments, design and development, we quickly identified problem UX areas and addressed them with limited time and resources.
- Brad Matsushita
- Bárbu Mercedes Cruzado
- Two 4-week phases
The Starting Point
For this tool we started from an early prototype designed and built by our Marketing Engineering team. Planned around technical requirements and team initiatives, the product was functional but lacking an understanding of the perspective of its future users. In our initial planning, we broke down the problem into key use cases after interviewing marketing teammates across functions.
Adopting a roughly Agile methodology, we first formulated a round of testing based on this early state product based on the use cases we had uncovered. Over 2 sprints we brought in future users of the tool to test for issue areas we could address with that round of updates. In consolidating notes after each interview, I rank ordered our teams priorities through a combination of difficulty they posed to users, commonalities in issues, and difficulty in implementing tiers of proposed solutions to discuss with engineering.
The Priority Actions
Two key action items in our first round became apparent across almost every test—the clarity in choosing layouts to add to the page, and the lack of ability to manage the order of and holistically view section structure. Adding a “block” improvements were centered around a new module showing previews of each section and ordering them into logical categories. While more advanced drag and drop and show/hide algorithmic functions were conceived, as a v1 we moved forward with simple up/down rearranging and a collapsing folder action.
Moving to the second sprint along with ongoing labeling and tooltip updates, an overhaul to the dashboard became a need as more and more pages were migrated and built. Stages of the redesign were broken into the following phases: previewing card UI, search and filtering, then finally a condensed list view. These updates coincided with the rollout of BoB to the larger team to begin building and editing live pages across the site.